Skip to main content

2 Years of Drier Deserts, Hotter Suns

Two years ago today I released the first public version of Drier Deserts, Hotter Suns.

Immediately after that, the COVID-19 pandemic hit Vancouver, where I was living at the time.

As I had been working on the project on and off for about eight years at that point (making 2022 now year ten!), it was awful timing. It really killed my motivation to work on games. A bit of playtesting has happened, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. You see, I came to learn very early on during those days that I absolutely hated running games online. As a referee, I am very active. I love to stand up, walk around the table, make big gestures etc. That really doesn't work online. It was also hard gauging people's reactions to the new awesome rules I had just written. These might sound like excuses but there's no denying the fact that I was having a whole lot less fun playing RPGs and making them. It really hurt the project and my playtesting efforts.

It's not all bad though! The playtesting that I have done has been extremely rewarding in terms of making the game better. Over the past two years I've released a few smaller updates to the game and today I'm releasing the biggest update thus far. Version 0.6 is out now and features a major re-organization of the rules, improved roles, and most importantly, Across the Rosmarus Sector: small intro adventure. Go download it now! It really is a lot better. You can read the full devlog on itch.io.


In the meantime, I've been working on a number of other sci-fi projects. My goal all along with DDHS has been to make sci-fi games easier to run and more fun to play. DDHS obviously represents the mechanical side of that. The other side to that however is content, and in the past year I have released two new Sci-Fi TRPG projects:

  • WASTExWORLD, a trash planet micro-setting.
  • Exoplanet Index, a collection of totally unique planets to add to your sci-fi games. Like a planetary "monster manual" of sorts.

To celebrate this update, I've put WASTExWORLD on sale for $0.00. GO GET IT!!! And keep your eyes posted on Exoplanet Index (which is also free for now btw), I intend to update it constantly with new worlds for you to explore.

I'm super excited for this release. My original plan, had there not been a pandemic, was to have a rules-complete version of DDHS done by 2021 so I could focus on layout, art, and promoting the game. Obviously that did not happen, but I feel now like I am in a similar place to where I was then. Ready to finish the game and get it out of the play test phase. Fingers crossed that happens this year!

The next version of DDHS will be a much needed cleanup of a couple of the larger, more confusing mechanics. A better layout and more content should come with that too. Also, I'm planning on releasing another adventure for DDHS entitled "White Dwarf Millionaire", so go follow me on itch.io to be kept in the loop on that.

Lastly, I wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who has helped me on DDHS. All my friends who I've playtested with, my girlfriend for her support, and everyone online who has championed my work. Thank you all so much. And of course, thank you to everyone who has downloaded it, read it, and especially those who have played it. It means a lot to me.

P.S, if you hadn't noticed, I have rebranded. The short: all my content is being posted under the moniker of "Robotic Topologist". I also have a new twitter page, @robotopologist.

P.P.S. Please leave a review on itch. It really does help.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Quick Method of Character Linking

I do not like cold starts. Opening in a tavern or what else kills the believability for me. It also lacks any hook for why the party should be working together instead of apart. To alleviate this I exclusively have some sort of starting condition. Most recently a caravan of refugees traveling across expansive, empty steppes. This is better than starting out nowhere but I still think there should be some glue to bind the party before they set out on adventure. To accomplish this, I've devised a method of quickly "linking" characters together, and then actually putting that to good use by making the players actually think. So here is my session zero character linking rules: Every character will roll a die. Which die is dependent on how many players you have and what the starting conditions are. A a larger die (such as a d10) will result in less relationships, while a smaller die (such as a d4) will result in many more relationships. A d8 tends to work well. In small groups,

New Release: WASTExWORLD

  I made something new! It's called "WASTExWORLD". It's a sci-fi micro setting for running games on a trash planet. It's system agnostic and pretty straightforward. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Go get it right away from itch.io . WASTExWORLD by Daniel Harris