Skip to main content

New Release: WASTExWORLD

 

I made something new!

It's called "WASTExWORLD". It's a sci-fi micro setting for running games on a trash planet. It's system agnostic and pretty straightforward. I'm really happy with how it turned out. Go get it right away from itch.io.


I've wanted to put out something small and DD/HS adjacent for a while now. I started work on another, more fleshed out adventure (about winning the lottery in space), but the pandemic has unfortunately put play-testing on hold - which is why there's been little in the way of DD/HS progress. That's where wasteXworld comes in. I wanted to limit myself to only a couple of pages, some short writings, and some tables. That scope creeped to include a map and a gazetteer, which I'm glad I added as I feel it fleshes out the details into a more finished product. Ultimately I wanted to make something that needed very little play testing and that could show off my evolving layout chops.

Nothing exists in a vacuum however, and I was inspired by Lone Archivist, YOU GOT A JOB ON THE GARBAGE BARGE, and that one Clone Wars episode where they find Maul on the garbage planet. I'm considering writing a full blog post about the design process for this PDF.

While this project has actually seen the light of day, I have at least 3 more on the back burner. Not to mention an update to DD/HS that has been waiting for about 6 months now. The main thing keeping me from finishing those up is time, so they'll be done when I get them done. Hopefully this release gives me a bit more motivation to work on them, as I was starting to feel overwhelmed by their scale. Also, be sure to expect more of this sort of small thing. I'll probably end up starting another one soon if WASTExWORLD does well numbers wise.

If you've read this far, thanks for your support! I know things have been quite for the past year, but seeing people interested in the stuff I make is a major motivator. If you want to keep the games flowing, make sure to follow me on itch over at daniel-harris.itch.io

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2 Years of Drier Deserts, Hotter Suns

Two years ago today I released the first public version of Drier Deserts, Hotter Suns. Immediately after that, the COVID-19 pandemic hit Vancouver, where I was living at the time. As I had been working on the project on and off for about eight years at that point (making 2022 now year ten!), it was awful timing. It really killed my motivation to work on games. A bit of playtesting has happened, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. You see, I came to learn very early on during those days that I absolutely hated running games online. As a referee, I am very active . I love to stand up, walk around the table, make big gestures etc. That really doesn't work online. It was also hard gauging people's reactions to the new awesome rules I had just written. These might sound like excuses but there's no denying the fact that I was having a whole lot less fun playing RPGs and making them. It really hurt the project and my playtesting efforts. It's not all bad though! The playtes

A Quick Method of Character Linking

I do not like cold starts. Opening in a tavern or what else kills the believability for me. It also lacks any hook for why the party should be working together instead of apart. To alleviate this I exclusively have some sort of starting condition. Most recently a caravan of refugees traveling across expansive, empty steppes. This is better than starting out nowhere but I still think there should be some glue to bind the party before they set out on adventure. To accomplish this, I've devised a method of quickly "linking" characters together, and then actually putting that to good use by making the players actually think. So here is my session zero character linking rules: Every character will roll a die. Which die is dependent on how many players you have and what the starting conditions are. A a larger die (such as a d10) will result in less relationships, while a smaller die (such as a d4) will result in many more relationships. A d8 tends to work well. In small groups,

Enter the Robotic Topologist

Announcement time! I'm rebranding. Shocking, I know. I had originally wanted to just release everything I made under my own name, but I've realized that that's not the best idea. For starters, I have a pretty generic name. More relevant is the fact that any collaboration just shouldn't be released under my name. I want to share things I think are cool, and don't want to imply that someone else's creative work is totally mine, especially as I reach out to artists and get help on things like layout and promotion. With that said, welcome to Surface Level , the Robotic Topologist Blog. Previously Wodan Gaming by Daniel Harris. Robotic Topologist is my new name to put on any and all gaming content I'm going to release. I think it's a pretty good name, especially the topologist part. I'm fascinated by the study of topology and like the implication of table-top-ology. The robot part is there since I'll mostly be focusing on sci-fi stuff, but robots